Search This Blog

Monday, June 6, 2011

Week #42 - Gypsy Magic (Cerro Verde)



Hola familia y amigos!

This week has been interesting once again, but I really enjoyed the Multizona we had with Elder Clark. To start things off, the members here in the ward do not like my comp at all. It’s been pretty hard on both of us. He is a pretty awkward guy and has problems with his social skills. I get the feeling he wasn’t too social before the mission and it’s really hitting him hard right now. I feel really bad and I keep saying tips and stuff to help him, but I think that this is something more that he needs to fix within himself, kind of like me dealing with confrontation.

This week we were preparing the converts and investigators we have for the fireside with Elder Clark. It was in Barrio Benque (in San Pedro) and we told everyone on Wed. that there would be a bus ready and everything, and everyone said they would go. Thursday comes around and we got back to the area around 5pm (we spent practically the whole day in SPS at the Multizona) and we went to let one family and a few others know, who said they would go.  We get to the bus, which was scheduled to leave at 5:45 and no one was there, except all the youth cause they had a separate fireside. But no one went, so we had to take a rapidito with our cook to get there (she went because her husband was getting his Priesthood restored and needed an interview w/Elder Clark). We get there and it’s packed, and we didn’t find our family. The fireside started and I was super bummed. I had been praying the entire bus ride that at least they would show up. As Elder Clark was starting, I don’t know why I wasn’t looking at him, but I saw the wife of this family turning around. We were in the back, so I grabbed my comp and we moved up to sit with them and they really enjoyed the meeting. Elder Clark talked about some of the "Mormon traditions", like family home evening, we get good grades, we graduate, we work hard, and he talked about the 7 steps to conversion, Knowledge, Faith, Testimony, Repentance, Baptism/Sacrament, Gift of the Holy Ghost, and Obedience. It was an awesome meeting! After we caught a ride home with the bishop, so he got to know the family, which was great.

The Multizona was great as well. Elder Clark talked about the 7 steps of conversion, as well as other things that we can do to help those we teach, help them teach themselves, and to stay focused in the mission. I took a whole bunch of notes. I don’t have them with me, but it was a bunch! :P At the Multizona I saw Elder Contreras, who doesn’t seem to hold anything against me. He was really cool about everything and is a Sr. Comp again. I saw Elder Nelson as well, and Elder Elison wants me to train already haha!

We have been trying to help the members here but its hard with these feelings against my comp, but Sunday we took the other investigator family we have, which are 4, and 4 more investigators showed up, making 8, the most I have ever had! It was awesome to see that many people there, so we should have baptisms lined up soon. It’s going to be a hard change but I know we can have some success here if we work hard.

Alright, something funny. Well we got to the Multizona early and I left with Elder Hafen (an awesome elder from CA) to get some breakfast. We go to a baleada place nearby and are eating with some other elders and this gypsy-like lady comes up and hands one elder a comb and another a pen. We sat there a little dumb-founded, and later she came up to me and hid something in my hand, which ended up being a pair of those noise-making magnets, haha! We have no idea why, but it was really weird but funny. Oh and Elder Mendez finally cleaned out his rice that he had made 2 weeks ago and was dying because of the smell (tons of mold)! It made me laugh haha! Well I hope everything is great back home and that as the summer vacations start everyone stays safe. See ya next week!

Elder Neher


1 comment: