Search This Blog

Monday, October 10, 2011

Week #60 - Speechless Shock (Seis de Mayo)


Buenas!

Well this week had its ups and downs. It’s kind of hard to believe that some of the stuff that happened this week really happened and some of it I wish never happened, but I'll explain. This week I think we grew together as a companionship, at least I hope so, I just haven’t been helping a lot with Spanish and I kind of feel bad about that, but this week I want to do better.

So this week we went on divisions with the ZLs and Elder Garcia (one of the many) came with me to my area. We went around and had some good lessons, but the biggest thing happened when we went to Elvin's house, the black guy we baptized in Sept.  We assumed he didn’t have a great Conference experience because the signal kept cutting out, but we showed up and he looked visibly upset. I asked him what was up and he said that he doesn’t believe in the church anymore. My heart dropped. He said that he didn’t believe in the prophet, that what he heard was only about the Book of Mormon and that they didn’t talk about the Bible or Christ (he only saw very small parts of talks on Sat, not enough at all) I was speechless, I didn’t say anything, I just sat there dumbfounded.  Elder Garcia tried talking to him, but he kept repeating himself saying that he received a revelation from his family that it was false (his family really messed with him), he didn’t like that people call us Mormons, not Christians, even though we are, and that he was going to back to the Catholic church. He gave a member his Book of Mormon and a letter renouncing his membership, and said that he lost a month of his life to really call himself a Christian. He wouldn’t let us talk, he didn’t look at us in the face, and when we left his handshake was meh. It absolutely broke my heart, I was crying when we left. He was so sure in the gospel and then he just rejects it all in a heartbeat.  So the rest of that day and the next it was hard for me to work, but Thursday we had a zone conference with Fesitranh Zone and Pres Veirs and the AP’s talked to us about a whole bunch of stuff, and one of them was the importance of the Book of Mormon. Afterward I talked to Pres about Elvin and he helped me work through it. At the zone conference I saw Elder Anderson and he gave me a present from Yadira. She wrote me a letter, bought me some candy and a really nice pen and pad made of local wood (palm wood?) It was really nice to get that from her!

In spite of all this, we worked hard this week and were able to get a baptism.  She is the sister of a member and she wanted to get baptized, haha so it was pretty easy. There was a lot of support from the ward so hopefully she stays active. She is 13 and looking forward to going to seminary next year. We have a family we are teaching that seems really excited about church. They weren’t able to go this week because something came up that morning, but they were all ready to go and willing, so hopefully we can get them there soon. We have other people that are progressing and so hopefully we should have more baptisms this month. Hopefully this week will be another great week, and I hope everything back home is going great!

Adios!
Elder Neher

No comments:

Post a Comment