Buita Rabounweyu!
(That’s Garifuna for good afternoon!)
Haha what's up? Hope everyone had a great week this week. For those that don’t know, Garifuna is the language of the native black people of Honduras and I’ve been learning a bit of it, haha! Well this week was pretty good, I’ve been continuing up and down with my stomach, but whatever, I'll get over it. It’s been getting better with Elder Ward. I feel like we've been opening up a little bit more now but it’s been especially hard because he is having a hard time with the language. He can teach doctrine in English, but he has a hard time forming the words and sentences in Spanish, so hopefully I can help him to get better.
On Wednesday we had some Garifuna food. Near our house there is a place that cooks a whole bunch of food, especially chicken. The members that were giving us dinner that night forgot, so they went and bought us some of that food. That meat was INCREDIBLE! There was so much food that we didn’t finish any of it. There was sausage, steak, pork chops and grilled chicken all in this sauce that I have no idea what it was but it was incredible. It all melted in my mouth and it was awesome, haha!
This week we have been working with a youth whose brother is a member and we have a baptism planned for her this weekend, if all goes well and if her mom gives us permission. Well of course the highlight of this weekend was Conference! I was looking forward to it all week and we went to the stake center to watch it in English. Our ward stayed in their building (they watched via internet, but it failed the entire time). Conference was awesome, and we were all super surprised about the new temple in Provo! What in the world?! Well anyway, Conference was amazing! We watched the first talk in Spanish because they didn’t have a TV ready for us yet. Did you know Elder Scott translates his own talks into Spanish? Very cool. Well I loved all of Conference and I didn’t want it to end, but I took a whole bunch of notes. One of my favorites was Pres. Uchtdorf's on our importance to God. I absolutely loved it and it was a talk that hit home to me. Even though I don’t have problems like before, it still helped me to receive that message. I am thankful for everyone that has played a huge role in my life helping me to overcome some really hard times, THANK YOU! :) Of course I loved Elder Holland's talk. He is always so passionate when he speaks and you can easily feel the Spirit when he talks. I loved Pres. Monson's talk with his different stories, and I enjoyed Elder Cook's talk. A lot of the talks this Conference talked about dealing with problems, while we have them and how we can overcome them. I loved Conference!
One of the best things that happened was that we were able to take an inactive member with us (Melvin). We showed up to his house and he had been waiting, in a suit and everything. He woke up at 5am so he could get ready, and we think he really enjoyed the messages. He went to Sunday morning and I think they hit home for him. A family we are teaching also went and thank goodness they went to the stake center! They enjoyed it, however they were moved to a different room and were distracted by their kids, but they enjoyed it as well. We stopped by with them afterwards and challenged them to baptism and they said yes, but they have to get married, something that they don’t seem quite ready to do. but they are willing, just in the future. I was a great weekend and we all had a great time, and we hope that this week will be great as well! Hope everything at home is great, and that everyone has a great week!
Elder Neher
| Local member (no name given) |
| After General Conference |
No comments:
Post a Comment