Search This Blog

Monday, August 2, 2010

Las Corbatas Feas



A few years ago we noticed that the local missionaries in the Arizona Tempe Mission were wearing old, ugly polyester ties (Corbatas Feas). I remember seeing a few winners and ended up talking to the elders about them. You should have seen their faces light up when they talked about their ties! Apparently there is a thrift store in Tempe that sells these old ugly ties at a discount. I remember the elders telling me about how they would go there and purchase full garbage bags of ties for $30, take them to the mission offices and let everyone take their pick. Pretty soon the whole mission was wearing old, ugly ties.

I remember thinking that it seemed like a funny fad and that it would probably blow over in time. Apparently I was wrong! Not only has the fad continued, it appears to have spread because I have seen them on other missionary blogs!!

There is a family in my parents ward in Chandler, AZ who have a son finishing his mission in the Honduras San Pedro Sula Mission. Recently my mom was talking with her friend about specifics of the mission and she mentioned that they have a tradition of getting ties at the local thrift stores and exchanging them with other missionaries and members. Many of the people that they bring into the church do not own ties, so most of the old, ugly ties end up getting gifted to the new converts so they can come to church in a shirt and tie!

We thought that was a wonderful idea, so we tracked down the identity and location of the store (Tiedemann's Family Thrift) and headed there today to start Steven on his way with his first set of Corbatas Feas! I can't help but look at them and wonder where they might end up and whose life they might become a part of...stay tuned!!

p.s. Don't worry...he also has quite a few "Corbatas Lindas" also!!

1 comment:

  1. Nice! That is such a great tradition to start, and what a great thing to be a part of! I'll never look at ugly ties the same.

    ReplyDelete