Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Week #1 - MTC

Hey, it has been one crazy week thus far and I will try to say all that I can in the little time I have. So far I absolutely love my district, they are so awesome, there are 13 of us total, which I've been told is a huge district. There are 2 elders and one sister heading to Mc Allen Texas, 3 elders going to Nicaragua, me, and my companion are going to the same mission, and another elder is going to Tegucigalpa. One elder is going to Connecticut, one to Long Beach, one to Boston, and a sister is going to Rancagua, Chile. I found out the other day that Elder Palmieri was going to be in my district! A lot of people have been asking where he is, so I keep telling them he left.

My companion is good so far. Everyone keeps asking so I'll just say now, the food is great, despite the effects, and my Spanish classes are awesome. We have two teachers, although they might change it to one next week. Hermano Dallon went to Ecuador and speaks good Spanish, but his accent is terrible :P He's really funny though, on the other hand Hermano Hancock is very spiritual, and has a great accent. The first day we were there he spoke to us strictly in Spanish and no one but me understood him, so now I'm trying to help the class with Spanish, although I hate grammar, it’s terrible. I have learned so much while I’ve been here, and it’s only been a week! They want us to exclusively focus on the investigators and finding out more about them than straight up teaching them. I love every minute I’m here, I’m getting so much out of every lesson.

Alright, here's the crazy part, you know how everyone says after Sunday you get the hang of everything and its easy? Well they were wrong, at least for our district. We had awesome zone leaders, but our branch was one of the biggest here, so after we took the sacrament they moved us to a new branch, which has a completely different schedule than what we have, so this week is going to be very interesting. Our first zone was English speaking missionaries learning Spanish, our new zone and branch is the same, but also has Spanish speaking missionaries learning English. Apparently this came directly from the MTC presidency. They want to test something out by having both sides teach each other their new languages, so we might get put with a new companion temporarily. I talk to him in Spanish and he talks to me in English. Should be fun, but it has caused so much problems. Today is my p-day, but they will probably move it to Friday instead, and our class times will change, they may even have us change floors in our residence halls! They did change our classroom for Sunday and Tuesday nights only, but it’s just been crazy, we have no idea what’s going on anymore.

I did get to talk to some of the sisters in our new branch, one is going to Mesa! So I told her about how awesome it is there, and they told me my Spanish was good, the only problem I am having is thinking of the words and right conjugations, but it'll come to me. Now that I got some time I'll list off everyone in my district and where they are headed: Elder Wood, Long Beach; Elder Phillips, Hartford; Hermana Larson, Rancagua, Chile; Elder May, Elder Irwin (who is possibly one of the funniest people I have ever met) and Hermana Platt, Mc Allen; me, Elder Nelson, San Pedro Sula, Elder Maza, Tegucigalpa; Elder Child, Elder Caggiano, Elder Pugmire (I have no idea if he is related or not to President Pugmire) Managua, Elder Evans, Boston. It’s very diverse where we are all going.

Ok, I got the questions about what's my best and worst experiences thus far. Best would have to have been priesthood on Sunday, it was absolutely amazing, I mean granted the teacher was speaking Spanish and English at different times throughout the lesson (which didn’t bug me but threw off all the other elders), I learned so much, it was on one small section in Preach My Gospel about the Holy Ghost. To start off he asked us, "Do you really know who the Holy Ghost is? Do you know him on a personal level like we should? Did you know he gave up his chance for a body to help you?" This struck me really hard, and as I was sitting there I felt this peace and this feeling of love, and I heard "I love you so much." I knew that Heavenly Father and Jesus love me, but I had no idea how much the Holy Ghost loves me too, he loves me just as much as the rest of the Godhead. I then began to think about all the times he helped me, or when I didn't listen to him, but he was still there to help me, regardless of what I have done. Heavenly Father gave up His Only Begotten Son for us, Jesus gave his life for us, and the Holy Ghost gave up the chance to have a body for us, all so that we might be reunited in heaven.

The hardest experience so far is learning to deal with a companion 24/7. Yes I love him, but it’s just been hard for me to concentrate when he wants to goof off, I don’t know, I'm sure it'll get better.

I love hearing from home, it’s great to see how you guys are doing I love you all so very much for the support you give me, thanks!

Con mucho amor,

Elder Neher

ps: I will be sending other letters in an envelope, please try to give them to who they are for, Andrew can give them to the people at school, or their siblings at school. If I need anything I will let you know. I might need some thicker socks, my line of authority, and I guess I'll take that Camelback :P Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment