Search This Blog

Monday, November 29, 2010

Week #15 - Sweatin' Up a Storm (Bellavista Branch)

Buenos días familia y amigos!

Well to start off I want everyone to realize how... not terrible, but slow the mail is here. I just barely got a letter from Mama dated Sept 26th, Pooda's last letter dated Oct 17 and DearElders from Chase and Kortni Greene. The DearElders get here quick, but my area is so far outside of SPS that we barely ever get mail, because in order to get it our Zone Leaders have to go into SPS and they only get it when they have to go there.  So just so everyone knows, I’m sure when I get put in an area closer to SPS  I’ll get everything quicker and respond quicker.

Well this week has been hot!!! Almost all week the sun's been out and I’ve been sweating like crazy and this isn’t even the hot season yet!  They say April is the worst so I’m thinking I’ll melt away when that comes, haha!!  Well this week’s been really slow as it relates to the work. We only have 2 or 3 progressing investigators and we had to drop some, well I guess they dropped us, but it’s been pretty hard to get new investigators lately. My interview with President was good, he gave me some advice on how to get more investigators and to help reactivate as well. For Thanksgiving we went to a restaurant here in Olanchito and Elder Staples and Elder Garcia had chicken with tajadas (basically french fries made out of guineo verde) and my comp had pork with tajadas and I had shrimp and french fries. It was good to just sit and relax for a bit.

Not your traditional Thanksgiving meal!

One thing that was pretty big this week happened to a family we are teaching. They can’t get baptized yet because they still have to get married and the husband still isn’t divorced from his last wife but they both do want to get baptized. What happened was a week before I got here the husband, Carlos, got in a really bad car accident. The driver died and he got stabbed in the chest with a stick and broke his right femur.  I don’t understand how he can bear it, but he manages to pull through. They showed us the x rays and he broke it in 2 places, so there's a chunk of bone not connected. They put a metal plate and screws in to try and hold it together and told him to walk on it so he could strengthen the muscles, but that made it worse and a tiny chunk came out of the plate, so he had another surgery on wed to tie metal wires around it. (The hospitals here aren't the greatest, I can imagine mom getting angry now haha) Well needless to say he almost died, but now he's doing fine, but this entire process has taught me patience because he has withstood through sooo much pain, and it taught me to have patience with everything, even if it does hurt like crazy, eventually everything will turn out for the better.

Well what we do for fun on P-days is play soccer for about 2 hours  and I’m getting back into the swing of things, haha! I was so terrible at first but now I’m a lot better. Afterwards we email, eat, relax and we usually have one or two appointments at night, but not many cause it takes so long to walk from one to the other. Well yesterday at church we had none of our investigators show up, including Ingrid. She wanted to go but something came up and she thought we were mad with her, but we explained that Heavenly Father understands that she wants to and things come up, so hopefully next week she will be baptized. We did have Mauricio, an inactive member, come to church which was great. We just need a couple more priesthood holders and we can be a ward! Our other investigator Alejandra seems to be progressing good, she had the elders over about 2 years ago and now she seems interested, so we still pass by with her. Sorry if this letter isn’t too long, but the days seem to mesh together here and I can’t remember all the details of every day, but we do have changes this week, but we're pretty sure me and Elder Elison are staying so nothing to worry about. Hope all is well back home and that everyone is enjoying the cold!

Con cariño,

Elder Neher

No comments:

Post a Comment