Search This Blog

Monday, June 18, 2012

Week #96 - Chopping up the Church! (Santiago)


Hola familia y amigos!

Well this was an eventful week with the entire Stake Presidency and Stake Auxiliaries here in Santiago. This week we had branch conference and on Tuesday there was a meeting with our branch president about what needed to be done. We also received some news on the temple dedication, which will take place either the last week of Nov or the beginning of Dec. He also mentioned the need to go and visit people and invite as many as we could to the branch conference, which was kind of short notice, but we did it anyways. We ended up visiting a lot of inactive members. Our cook, Ruth, also helped us and we invited everyone to come to the meeting, hoping that they would show up despite problems they might have had in the past. Our BP also wanted us to help him clean the church and chop the weeds on the back porch and just make everything look presentable. So we went on Friday to go chop a bunch of weeds at the church at 2pm, which was when everyone was supposed to be there, but no one else showed up for another 2 hours! We did what we could, then the BP showed up and he was upset because we were the only ones there (and our cook), but later some people showed up and we finished it at around 5pm. We were covered in dirt and junk from cutting weeds, moving dead trees etc. We left late that day but at least our BP seemed to be really happy with us and our help.

Saturday was Elder Baldwin´s birthday and it was crazy! So that morning at 4:30am our cook, some members and students from our English class came and woke us up with fireworks outside our house and singing 'las mañaitas'. My comp came out of the house looking really angry… although he wasn’t. It was really funny haha!!

Later that day there was some problems when somebody called Pres. Veirs saying that we were going to do something when we had already said we wouldn’t. Basically there was band competition thing and they asked us if we wanted to be the judges. At first we said yes, then we said no, but somebody called Pres. Veirs to basically 'tell on us' but he just laughed about the situation. There have been so much more stuff that has happened here with previous missionaries, I don’t know why the members decide to call Pres. now about something so dumb. I just think some of the people here are out to get me, but whatever. Seriously, some other Elders have gone to Villanueva (which isn’t in our zone) dressed in normal clothes to go shopping, have driven cars, (all this with the family of the BP btw) or go to the local club, wake up in other houses, dance with anyone and everyone, and they never got caught nor in trouble. It’s really dumb and I think it is the branch mission leader who is behind it. He happens to live in the same little square with the BP and he is his right hand man. Anything that happens with anyone in the branch, he goes straight to him to tell him, so I think it was him. It’s crazy in this little town!

Afterwards it was chicken tamales for lunch, then we went and visited some people. Later there was an activity for the youth at church that they wanted us to be involved in, and afterwards was dinner, which was crazy. It started fine with some chop suey, then they bring out the cake, sing happy birthday to my comp and then his face gets smashed into the cake. They have a birthday tradition here where people smash eggs on your head and cover you with flour like a human cake. A couple of us smashed an egg on his head, but because I made the comment earlier in the night that I wasn’t going to be here for my b-day, they grabbed me and smashed an egg on my head and covered me with flour too, it was crazy! I was super sticky, but it was fun.

Happy Birthday Elder Baldwin!

Human Cake
On Sunday we had the branch conference and only 3 people that we visited showed up. I could tell the stake wasn’t very pleased with what they saw, because it just didn’t seem like anyone new was there, inactives or anything and the primary was crazy! On the good side, there were some great messages that I enjoyed. This next week we should have a baptism but we aren’t entirely sure yet, because the lady lives far and she gets home late, but hopefully everything goes well this week. When I get home I would like to go golfing. I think I am getting better on my form haha! We went golfing again today and I had some really good hits, others not so much, but last time we went this guy helped me with my technique, because he knew I could somewhat play. He said he might go to AZ to play this summer so maybe we'll see him!

I hope everyone else enjoys their week!

Elder Neher

No comments:

Post a Comment