Search This Blog

Monday, November 7, 2011

#64 - Pizza in a Cone (Seis de Mayo)



Hola familia y amigos!

Well this was a good week. It’s been interesting with our ward and stuff, but hopefully we can help with whatever problems there are. Just so you know, that number of baptized people in the ward is 806, and we have 140 active, and they were talking a lot on Sunday about how its everyone’s responsibility to help, not just ours or the leaders, even though some of the leaders haven’t been helping with as much as they could.  We talked to the stake president yesterday while waiting to do something and he told us how he is worried that the members aren’t helping us as much as they should, which is the case. Some of the members that have time in the church are getting frustrated because no one shows up to activities or classes of institute that they do at the church. A lot of people aren’t as excited as they should be for anything, so it’s hard trying to boost morale. We have been trying to work in parts of this area that I have never been to before, so hopefully we can have success in those areas.

We are trying to make lists of words for Elder Ward to practice and stuff so he has a wider range of vocabulary. It’s hard to always talk to him in Spanish because it feels really weird doing so with a gringo haha, but I’m trying really hard. So some things that I have failed to mention in the past, here at a supermarket I found La Campangola, the jam from Argentina! I bought some and have been enjoying it for quite some time, haha! I also received a souvenir from Guatemala from a member that spent her birthday out there. She bought me a little knife that has a carrier with a quetzal on it and my comp a T-shirt.

So our investigator Gina is amazing! She went to church yesterday and went to all three hours and said that she loved church, that it was a lot better than she had expected! The sisters all talked to her and welcomed her very well, which is a very good sign. She has to go to church one more time and we will have her baptism around the 19th! She is a great woman, very strong and full of faith, we are also teaching Manuel's grandson Josue. He has gone to church the same amount of times as Manuel and was baptized in another church. He has decided to get baptized in our church, so that will be the 19th as well! We have other people who we are teaching, but are not progressing that well because they haven’t gone to church like they should. It’s been hard in that aspect to get people to progress and go to church, even when we pass by for them and send them text messages reminding them, but we'll see what we can do to help them.

So last week I was going to tell you this but I forgot, but I found it interesting how it says the Book of Mormon has the "fullness of the gospel," which I know means everything, plan of salvation, baptism, etc, but the "gospel of Christ" is Faith, repentance, baptism, gift of the Holy Ghost and endure to the end, so I decided to count how many times it mentions each of those topics in the BoM (I had the majority already marked from before) so here we go: Faith 264 Repentance 357, Baptism 136, Holy Ghost 240, and Endure to the End 160 times. I thought it was interesting that it mentions a lot about repentance, but also realized each author focused on something different, like Nephi focused a lot on enduring to the end and the gift of the Holy Ghost while Moroni mentions a lot about faith. It was really cool to be able to do that. Well we hope that this week is better and we can find new people to teach that will honestly progress. Thanks for everything and I hope everyone has a great time back home!

Hasta la proxima semana!

Elder Neher

ps, we had a pizza in a cone for lunch today, very tasty!












No comments:

Post a Comment