Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

Week #57 - Folklore Fun (Seis de Mayo)


Hola familia y amigos!

So this week was better, my stomach was iffy at the beginning of the week and I just didn’t want to eat any of the food, but I made pasta and stuff at home that we found at a supermarket, which held up fine. Lately my stomach has felt fine but I am almost positive that it is all the shortening/lard that they use to cook that is killing me. Hopefully I am cured of whatever I had. This week was another ho hum week, some days my stomach was fine, then it would turn for the worse and react to something and I wouldn’t want to walk as much as I had. This week went by really fast so a lot of the details are mixed up in my head haha! 

So we have been trying to find new people to teach and we have found a couple new families to teach, which should be awesome.They seem really excited and are waiting for us every time we show up. We mentioned General Conference because its coming up soon (I’m SO EXCITED!) and they want to go and asked us when and all the details. I’m so stoked for conference! 

This week we haven’t been able to find one of our investigators that seemed really pumped at first, so I hope this week we can find him again. We have one investigator, Carmen, who goes to church every week and she says that this is the only church that she will go to, and she wants to get baptized, however her husband doesn’t want to get married, which stinks! We want to talk to him but he is never home and they don’t even live together, but he passes by every day and we never see him. Hopefully we can change it cause Carmen is super pilas as well. 

Well this week the stake had a huge folklore festival and everyone but our ward knew about it and had 2 months to prepare and we only had 3 days (lame) but it was AWESOME. Each ward had a different department (state) of Honduras and they had to prepare a dance from that state and food. They made us missionaries to be the judges of the food and they gave us SO MUCH! It was really cool to see everything, but the best part of the activity was seeing the typical dances of Honduras. I got clips of all of them and they were really cool. There were dances from the Garifunas (the native balck people of Honduras) from the little pueblos, it was so cool, I really enjoyed it. We spent the entire day at that activity and when we got home we found out that someone had been killed, nowhere near any of us. Later we found out it was the husband of one of our investigators that hasn’t been progressing that great. It’s a really sad situation, but we hope to teach her about the plan of salvation and that it will help her. 

One thing we were able to get this week was that a lot of inactives went to the activity and then to church this last week, which was awesome because some of them have been inactive for a while. This week is changes, and Elder Porter will be leaving. For some reason I feel like I’ll be training, which should be interesting haha, I just hope I can do a good job! This next change I hope to be able to work a lot here and to get some work done! 

You know something I realized? Getting baggy (trunky) is dumb and elders get baggy for the dumbest reasons, like seeing a couple kissing in the street, hearing a song or hearing news of something back home, like sports. But I think it’s all dumb. It just shows where your mind is. Granted, sometimes I think of things from back home too, but I don’t dwell on it and I don’t make a fuss about it all the time. I just think the concept is dumb. I’ll be home sooner or later and then I will be able to catch up on everything. I just think missionaries should stay focused on the work. Well I hope everyone has a great week and that all goes well with everything!

Con amor,

Elder Neher

No comments:

Post a Comment