Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Week #31 - Travel by Clown Car (Cerro Verde)

Buenas familia y amigos,

Well this week was great! We have been contacting a lot to try and find a new family, and we have 2 possibilities. The only problem is that we can only visit them once a week due to work schedules. One family we contacted on Tuesday and only the husband, Darwin, was home so we taught him the first 2 principles of L1 and he invited us to eat with him and his wife, Daniela, on Friday night, which was really surprising, but we took them up on their offer! We went and they wanted to do something better than what they had (tortillas, beans, eggs and sausage) but it still was really good, and we had a great conversation with them. I told them about my family heritage and Daniela said that Argentines make the best carne asada, so true, haha! We taught them lesson 1 and they had a whole bunch of questions and we were able to answer them fairly easily. My comp said they seem positive because when people have questions like that, and more than one, it shows they are interested. They weren’t able to come to church, but we are going to pass by with them this week and remind them of Conference, which I’m sure will help them gain a testimony. We are also still working a lot with Victor, trying to get things ready for their marriage and hopefully that can happen this Friday and maybe his baptism on Sat. He didn’t go to church on Sunday so we need to see if he can or not.

This Sat. we didn’t have a baptism as planned because Daniel (11 years old, lives with dad and step mom/sisters) had a problem and so we are helping him to understand what he did was wrong and helping him understand the repentance process. We are also working with Cristian and he has been opening up more to us, joking around and stuff and we have his baptism planned for this week. Hopefully he understands the importance of it. We have tried teaching him that, but he's only 13 so he's still a bit immature, but at least he's progressing.

So last week or the week before we contacted a lady named Emilia, we were just looking for someone, contacted the house and from there taught lesson one, and she asked about the BoM so we left one for her. We came back maybe 6 or 7 days later (her schedule is kinda iffy) and found out that she had read everything from the title page to 1 Ne 18! She even marked the scriptures she liked and we asked her questions about the story and she was able to answer them all. She really enjoys reading it and we are going to pass more with her, hopefully she can come to church. She just feels a bit uncomfortable because her daughter is a bit rowdy and doesn’t sit still, but she seems very receptive.

Everything has been great here, a bit cold with rain, but that's how I like it, something about my area is that to get from where I live (Cascadas) to Cerro Verde we takes buses, or Rapiditos, which are a little bigger than mini vans and when you ride in them, it’s like a sardine can! I counted 27 people in one, including driver and attendant! They pack everyone in and it is so hard to get out, so now I know what it feels like to ride in a clown car, haha!! 

Inside a Rapidito
I absolutely love this country, and the people, and I love being able to share the gospel, I know it’s true and I know that we can receive the ordinances we need for our salvation here. I hope all is well back home!

Elder Neher

No comments:

Post a Comment