Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Week #26 - Happy Singles Awareness Day! (Bellavista Branch)



Hola familia y amigos,

Well I want to start out this week saying Happy Singles Awareness Day and to those of you who have a special someone, Happy Valentine's Day! haha Well this week has been good, a LOT of walking, I’ve been teaching my comp the area and in one day we walked I want to say the entire area. We didn’t mean to plan it that way, but one appointment would be over there and the next all the way on the other side of our area, so I got to show him how big the area is!
Elder Mendez is cool, he's a bit goofy but understands a lot of English, and he has only had 1 American comp other than me in 14 months. I’ve begun to notice things about the Guatemalan missionaries through him. He's been complaining a lot and comparing Guatemala to here, like Elder Contreras too, and it shows that they are super prideful of Guatemala, calling it the "second factory of missionaries". He´s cool and everything but it just bothers me that he isn’t really embracing the country and people like I am, but whatever. At least the members have shown an increase in their trust for us now that Elder Contreras is gone. We have received a whole bunch of references, some of which we still haven’t contacted, but it shows that the members are willing to work with us now.

Well on Tuesday after our district meeting, we went as a district and with our ZLs to Coyoles to help start preparations to build a house for a family of investigators. We have to help build a second house because the parents are brother and sister, and they have 7 or so kids. By the law down here they can’t get married, but they want to get baptized, so they are willing to separate to get baptized, so we have to make a separate house for the husband so there aren’t any problems there. So we started by making a huge batch of mud, to make bricks for the house, we had so much mud that it started drying up and so to keep it smooth and to work it in the middle, we had to get in the mud and mash it like a wine press! haha So after two of the sons went in, I jumped in, along with Elders Denning, Jackson, and Diego, so we got nice and dirty! haha
 It was fun to go help out.

Well, with our investigators this week we didn’t have any baptisms like we hoped. Mari and Vanessa said it was a bit too soon for baptism. We taught the importance of setting a date asap, but they still said it was too soon so we haven’t pushed them that much since. We wanted to visit with them on Friday, but they weren’t home and I was worried that they might not come to church. For some background info, Mari has gained a testimony of the church. Vanessa we aren’t sure if she has or not, because she isn’t keeping her commitments as well as her mom, but yesterday Vanessa went to church without her mom, who was in Juticalpa for the weekend. This shows me that she has a desire to go to church without being pushed by her mom, so hopefully we can help them progress a little more, eventually to baptism. We have also been teaching another family, familia Rosales Nuñez, who seem to be progressing nicely. They have just about the same questions as Joseph Smith had, wanting to know why there are a whole bunch of churches and which one is true, so we watched the movie on the restoration and they seemed to enjoy it.
 The movie answered some of their questions and yesterday Luis (the father) and his son, Alonso came to church and they seemed to really enjoy it. Hopefully they can keep progressing too.

Everything is going good here. I complete 6 months this week! Wow, the time went by so fast, so it should mean I’ll be home quicker than I think! Haha
Hasta pronto!

Elder Neher

No comments:

Post a Comment