Hola familia y amigos!
Well we got our travel plans on Friday of last week! I leave from Salt Lake City to Dallas at on Monday, Oct. 18th at 8:25am on American flight 1429, then to Miami, and from Miami to San Pedro Sula and I will arrive at about 8 pm their time. If Abuela is coming, have her make me a milanesa sandwich ;)
I’m travelling to Dallas with some people in my district which should be super fun, so I’m super excited to leave. I have met quite a few missionaries who are going to Mesa and Tempe! My companion's friend (Elder Ricker) actually got reassigned to Tempe because he has Krohms disease, and two people in my district are going to Mesa (Elder Hernandez & Sister Arias). The sister is going to serve at the Mesa Temple, take her some Argentine food, she's from El Salvador and really misses authentic Latin American food, haha. She is pretty short so you won’t miss her and she is leaving the same day that I am.
Well this week's been kind of weird. I’ve realized how completely opposite me and my comp are, and how little things in my district can explode into epidemics. One elder in my district keeps telling us how completely opposite we are, I love culture and meeting new people and my comp hates anything that isn’t just like the US, and just other tiny things here and there, but everything is all good. My district can be fun at times, but other times people want to kill each other, and so it can get pretty heated here. The weird thing is we are like a family, so we have internal disputes but as soon as someone else gets harassed or something everyone comes to their defense. I get along with everyone ok in my district. I tend to be the butt of most jokes, but oh well, I get along great with the sisters, but sometimes people just go too far. Usually when people get mad it’s over the dumbest things that get blown up, like the other night our District Leader shut the door to our room and knocked (as a prank…he does it all the time) but then he realized no one was in the room. We got upset and asked him to go get a key but he said he wouldn’t, so it blew up into this huge yelling fight between him and another elder in my room. Two other elders (who are not companions) went and got a new key for us and got chewed out by the DL for going on an "unauthorized exchange". It was just a mess, but it all worked out. Sometimes the problem is that some people tend to be hypocritical and no one keeps up with our goals, it’s pretty terrible, but other than that we all get along just fine.
It’s been a crazy week. I almost passed out last night before the Health and Safety meeting, my head was spinning all night. (The Health and Safety meeting was basically about how not to die on your mission, just a whole bunch of stuff cause we were going out of the States.) I don’t know what started it but I just got super dizzy last night and a bit this morning, but I took some ibuprofen and I’m totally fine.
I honestly can’t really remember all the things I’ve learned here, it’s so much! The days mesh together so it’s hard to remember what just recently happened. One devotional we had talked about how to be a successful missionary (and here at the MTC they say baptisms=success, which has some people worried because they are going to low baptizing missions and think that means their missions won’t be successful), but Elder Neuenschwander told us, first thing, is that I am the one that makes my mission successful! Not once did he mention baptisms (yes I understand that baptisms are important), but sometimes some people make it sound like that's the only thing that determines success on a mission and a lot of people are upset by that. The other points he said were to simplify my life, be teachable, be obedient, stay w/the scriptures, respect the title we hold, and keep a proper perspective. I really enjoyed his talk and took quite a few notes on it.
I can’t really think of much else to write, sorry! Its crazy how fast time flies, and yet it feels like I’ve been here for an eternity. I’m super excited to get to Honduras! I will be there in a week!
Con mucho amor!
Elder Neher
No comments:
Post a Comment